Forest City Ratner Companies (FCRC) has announced the return of Summer@MetroTech, a summer-long cultural and entertainment festival, bringing free music, movies, activities and televised sporting events to Downtown Brooklyn’s MetroTech Commons.
This year’s programming will feature an outdoor movie series from Rooftop Films, the return of the BEAT Festival, Bastille Day celebrations, broadcasts of premier sporting events and the City Parks Foundation’s Putting Challenge. This second annual summer series builds on the success of the popular BAM R&B Festival, which is celebrating its 20th year on the Commons.
“This is going to be an exciting summer for Downtown Brooklyn as Summer@MetroTech helps BAM ring the 20th anniversary of the R&B Music Festival at the MetroTech Commons,” said MaryAnne Gilmartin, president and CEO of FCRC. “Whether it’s a live R&B performance, a sporting event, or an outdoor movie,Summer@MetroTech has something for everyone.”
Highlights of Summer@MetroTech 2014 include:
- The BAM R&B Festival: Celebrating its 20th year in Downtown Brooklyn, the free R&B Music festival features another wide-ranging roster of legendary trailblazers and emerging musical visionaries of R&B and world music.
- Rooftop Films Presents: Rooftop Films will screen three groundbreaking film presentations forSummer@MetroTech, including special live performances, an innovative four-screen movie experience and more.
- Sports in the Commons: The summer’s hottest sporting events will be broadcast live on the big screen.
- CityParks Putting Challenge: Test your skills against the best in Brooklyn, with funds going to support City Parks Foundation’s free junior golf program.
- BEAT Festival: The festival for emerging Brooklyn theater artists will bring a number of performances to the Commons in September.
- Bastille Day Celebration: MetroTech’s La Defense Bakery and Bistro hosts a celebration featuring Downtown Brooklyn’s own Petanque Tournament on professional-grade courts, plus food, live music, and fun for all!
“BAM is thrilled to partner with Forest City Ratner for its 20th anniversary edition of the BAM R&B Festival at MetroTech,” said BAM President Karen Brooks Hopkins. “Every summer for the last nineteen years we have been able to provide the community with a series of free lunchtime concerts, featuring legendary performers as well as emerging artists. This year’s special anniversary line-up will be bookended by two fabulous singers, the principal vocalists from the Academy Award-winning documentary 20 Feet From Stardom.
Summer@MetroTech is produced by FCRC to provide great entertainment for the 100,000 office workers in the third largest commercial district in the City, which has evolved to include a growing creative and tech sector and thousands of residents in the area.
For a full schedule of events and all the latest details and event updates, bookmark www.DowntownBrooklyn.com or follow @DowntownBklyn using #summeratmetrotech.