Duffy residence – The Duffy Residence in Brooklyn Heights is among the winners of the 24th Preservation Awards.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy recognized the winners of the 24th Preservation Awards—called the “Preservation Oscars,” as they are the highest honors awarded for excellence in preservation—this week, and four Brooklyn locations were among them: the Duffy Residence in Brooklyn Heights, the Engelhardt Addition of the Eberhard Faber Pencil Company in Greenpoint, the Green-Wood Cemetery Gatehouse in Fort Greene and the Williamsburgh Savings Bank.
The coveted awards are named for Lucy G. Moses, a dedicated New Yorker whose generosity benefited the City for more than 50 years. The Awards have recognized over 245 individuals, organizations and building owners for their extraordinary contributions to the city.
“The Moses Awards demonstrate that good preservation benefits the entire city by protecting and enhancing homes, cultural and religious institutions, commercial buildings and neighborhoods for generations to come,” said Peg Breen, President of The New York Landmarks Conservancy.
The award for the Duffy Residence, located in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District, honors the outstanding restoration of one in a row of six Italianate row houses, constructed between 1861 and 1879. This prominent corner property originally was adorned with details typical of the neighborhood and the era. Decades after those details were shrouded or removed, the house has undergone a remarkable renaissance.
The award for the Engelhardt Addition of the Eberhard Faber Pencil Company in Greenpoint honors a remarkable example of adaptive use. The unified free-standing facades of three century-old buildings that once manufactured pencils have been transformed into the new home of a 21st century internet-based industry. The Eberhard Faber Pencil Company was founded by Eberhard Faber in 1861. He moved the factory to Brooklyn in 1872, where it remained until 1956. The Engelhardt Addition was completed in stages as the company expanded in the late 19th century.
Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, a National Historic Landmark, is New York’s first pastoral cemetery and its first great work of landscape design. It has long been a model for preservation of historic cemeteries in the are of its picturesque buildings, monuments, markers and landscape.
Starting in 1838, it established the pattern of open-air movement in a planned landscape that inspired Central Park and its successors. The circa-1876 Caretaker’s Residence and Visitor’s Cottage at the Fort Hamilton Parkway entrance were designed by Richard Upjohn & Sons, the same architects as the landmark Gothic entry gate at the cemetery’s main entrance. The Victorian Eclectic-style Residence and Cottage are characterized by steeply pitched slate roofs, ornamental cast iron crestings and carved Belleville brownstone. The guest cottage is open to visitors, while the caretaker’s residence is still in use.
The award for the Williamsburgh Savings Bank honors the restoration of “one of the most monumental spaces surviving in New York from the Post-Civil War era” as it was described by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Completed in 1875, the old bank is an icon of an early New York neighborhood in its prime. The Beaux Arts Classical building by architect George B. Post, with Aesthetic-styled interior decorations by architect-designer Peter B. Wight, was not only significant to Brooklyn, but instrumental in shaping the trends of architectural design throughout the nation.